Yesterday started out looking none too promising. The marine layer was lapping at the house and garden. While mesmerizing to watch, it doesn’t make for a great gardening day. Undeterred, I decided it would be a good day for some land clearing, and to build the last “wall” that will surround the fairy garden. The main focus is a stained-glass window, acquired about 5 or 6 years ago from an antique store in Aurora. It was created at the turn of the 19th century. It was originally mounted in the structure where Jesse and I got married, but with that house soon to be put on the market, it needed a new home. Now it lives in Oceanside Garden.
I am also highly excited by a plant that is beginning to open its first two blossoms. It is Leucospermum ‘Scarlet Ribbon’, a native to South Africa and a species that I was not certain if I could get to bloom in Oregon. ‘Flame Giant’ is also looking hopeful. Many plants require a minimum amount of heat before they will set bud. So now I have successfully managed to get Grevillea, Leucadendron and Leucospermum to set bud. Still waiting for Protea and Banksia to complete the set. There is a Protea ‘Red Baron’ that is about to bloom in the Garden of the Giants, but those buds were set before the plant was purchased – so they don’t count.