Been making progress on the garden area drawings. Not sure if you have seen any of these yet, but it shows the planting plans for each area. You can click on them to get to the plant pages. Take a look at this one as an example. Currently working on the before and after plans for what is not the greenhouse.
The first new plant came into the collection today – Billbergia nutans, commonly called Queen’s Tears or Friendship Plant. The second common name comes from it being a plant that people can share because it multiplies well. Let’s see how well it does in our northern Oregon coastal climate. I bought five of them and intend to keep some in a more protected location, but put a couple out on the Portal. They are epiphytes, meaning that they grow on things, but are not parasites. There is a tree stump in there that I will attach one to and the other I will try making a moss ball around the roots and actually mounting it on the trellis.
Today, I found out what has been bothering a couple of my seed starting successes – aphids. They are small enough that I can’t really see them most of the time, but while taking some photographs of them today, they sure showed up under magnification. Here is Serruria florida, a plant that I was so pleased to be able to get to germinate and there are three of them attacking this little one.
A couple of new things have come into bloom in the past week. This in addition to my New Year’s bloom list. The first is Camellia x ‘Buttermint’. This is the first time that this has bloomed in the garden. Up until now, the deer have come through every year and nibbled off all of the fresh growth. It appears that the deer defenses are working, even though they are not yet complete. The other bloomers are a couple of dwarf Iris – ‘Katharyn’s Gold’ and ‘Harmony’. Both are a couple of weeks early this year as they normally come into bloom at the end of the month.
Yesterday was an amazing warm day, with our high being 65 Fahrenheit. That allowed me to get out into the garden and do some winter tidy-up. I also cut down all of the Sword Fern between the Tea House and the Streambed Garden. They look so much nicer when the new growth comes out without the brown old foliage underneath.
The drawings for the greenhouse area are finished. The page also provides the story about the transition the area went through. Still need to write some blogs about the control systems in the greenhouse and the way I have it set up.
Helleborus ‘Dark and Handsome’ came into bloom today, so with pictures in hand, the new plant page has been made.
Potted up 10 Protea magnifica seedlings – the Queen protea. It takes a lot of patience to grow these because it will take 4 to 6 years before they to blooming size and only then will I find out what color they are. This protea can be very variable – which makes it so fun.
The past week has been cold and wet. What better way to use some time than reading a gardening book and I managed to find a really good one.
Fearless Gardening by Loree Bohl. She is a gardener whose soul is very similar to my own. We both like to push our gardens to be a little unexpected, a little beyond what people think is possible. The full book review is here. A quick read, but a book that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I just can’t help myself. Plants shout out to me that they want to come home with me. It happened in Freddies today when four succulents jumped off the shelf and into my cart. I couldn’t disappoint the little darlings. So now we have Aeonium leucoblepharum ‘Stripe’, Crassula capitella ‘Shark’s Tooth’, Kalanchoe marnieriana, and x Sedeveria ‘Blue Elf’. It is also amazing that only one of them was correctly named on their plant tags. The nursery industry can be so lazy.
The weather was quite similar this year compared to last year. The only significant difference is how the rain was distributed. This year, a fair chunk of it came with just a couple of storms whereas last year it was more evenly distributed.
|Temperature||65.3 F||34.2 F||46.0 F|
|Dew Point||53.2 F||29.5 F||42.9 F|
|Humidity||99 %||41 %||90 %|